Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Philosophy of Golf Course Maintenance


The best place to start on anything is at the beginning. When I was first hired at LedgeRock, Mr Styer asked me to come up with my Philosophy of Golf Course Maintenance, which somewhat doubled as our standards of maintenance. He used it to show prospective members what LedgeRock was about and what was planned for the course conditioning. Revisiting it 8 years later and the fundamentals are still the same, although improved on in some cases.

While that was written mainly as a marketing tool it did represent the standard we expected the course to be maintained and the proof is what you see during the summer so this post is more to provide information of some of the maintenance practices that occur throughout the year and why I do things certain ways. I will cover each of these in more detail later, so in order to keep readers from falling asleep, a summary of each will suffice for now.

One of the items that was decided on very early was the playability of the course was priority and it should play hard and fast. That meant a little brown turf is tolerated provided the players get good ball roll and the course plays fun, especially considering how tough it can be, every yard counts! We can control how much water we put down but unfortunately have no control over mother nature’s input so this item is very had to keep consistent when she plays her hand. Just remember brown turf isn’t a bad thing.

Next for playability is how the greens play; I manage our greens without growth regulators (which is rare these days) and to do so requires that the crew pay a lot of attention to them to have them run at the speeds they do. By doing this they sometimes look a little thin especially when the (black) algae appears but this is nothing to worry about provided they remain to putt extremely true and smooth, their playability is my biggest concern. I’ll explain later in detail in another post why I manage them this way.

Soil/plant health: When I started as a superintendent I relied on the old mantra of feed the soil and everything else will fall into place. Being a new construction and having moved a lot of soil in the process, they definitely needed some work but I soon realized I was running in circles as when one nutrient would be in balance it knocked another out…… Once they were in decent shape (a nice average) I just started concentrating on the surface which let’s face it is all golfers are really concerned about!!! Since then I haven’t looked back and the turf is healthy and can do  pretty much anything that is asked of it.

General aesthetics: The big one to most people – the visual aesthetic when you drive in, walk up on a tee box etc. I believe that everything should be as perfect as possible at all times, especially the items that attract the eye and try to ensure that as many details as possible are taken care of. There are always more items that can be done but it would take unlimited resources so I have to work within the budget to ensure that they are kept to a minimum. Sometimes I do miss little things and am appreciative of when members let me know and in a few instances where we know about it but can’t address for some reason or another I can let them know it is on my list.

Our maintenance budget is very good to provide and exceed the required standards. It should be noted that no two golf courses are the same so comparing budgets – while a good indicator of general costs – the details need to be looked into. LedgeRock is a very difficult course to look after with large areas that require handwork which in turn costs more to maintain than a course without them. I search for better ways to do things and save as much money as possible ensuring I can do more with the budget that’s provided and get to items that may previously be overlooked.

Over time I’ll detail these items in more detail, but to sum up my general philosophy is to provide the members with first class conditions with playability taking priority.